Remove this ad

Lead

Aug 9 11 6:12 PM

Tags : :

Well, after about 15 years of trying, I got this basket case bought from my Dad. Finally wore him down,haha. Think he got sick of asking, so he sold it to me. Its a 1940 Indian Sport Scout. A numbers matching, fairly complete basket case. This year had skirted fenders (which I have) and stock is 45cu in. It will be turned into an early cut-down or bobber and stroked to 57cu in by using 74" wheels and different pistons. It has a Vard fork  with it which I am diggin'. A long term project and Dad is going to help me build the mill and offer insight. He's 71 and loves building. Can't wait to get rolling on it. Hope to pick up a bunch of parts at Davenport this year for it. I'm mocking it up to see what is missing. Updates as progress is made.
KeV

Click here to view the attachment
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#4 [url]

Aug 27 11 6:16 AM

Talked to my friend yesterday. He is bringing me a pair of chief 74" flywheels to stroke the engine with and a '39 sport scout primary cover to Davenport. My cover is in great shape, but the '39 has the "Indian" script cast into to it.Can't wait till next week for Davenport, Woo Hoo!! Just found out its the year of the sportster down there this year. Thinking I may have to grab Dad's original paint '69 XLH and take it down, was thinking about the the Honda cafe racer, have to see what works out. Regardless, I have my shopping list ready to go.
KeV

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Sep 7 11 7:47 AM

I went to the Davenport swap meet and had a great time. Parted with money and brought a lot of parts home. Talked to Noot for just a minute in passing.
  I started making this axle cap that was missing for the Vard forks. Have to bore the stud holes yet.
Kev

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Sep 7 11 3:43 PM

Here are some of the parts I brought back from Davenport. The new repop 18" rims came from Starklite. They're made in Calif and are high quality. I picked up a Firestone ANS 4.50x18 rear tire and a Coker Diamond Tread 4.50x18 for the front. Got an inner gen chain cover from Rocky Halter. Frame and engine bolt kits, petcocks, specialty tools, Linkert overhaul kit and new style float from Ed Glasgow. Got a bunch of other little things. It was a good weekend.
Kev

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#7 [url]

Sep 29 11 9:33 PM

I picked up a set of '36 Indian Junior Scout tanks, think I'll use them instead of the originals. Got a sweet brown seat as well. The Bates pillion pad I have is black, might have to rethink that.
Kev

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Oct 12 11 1:44 PM

I finally got a set of chief flywheels for the stroker project. They have good tight tapers in them, so should be in good shape. Also got this '39 sport scout primary cover.
KeV

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Nov 6 11 2:29 PM

I talked to my friend Howard Wagner about the steps needed to stroke the engine. He sent me in the mail a letter detailing what needs to be done and some pictures on where to relieve the cases. Awesome. The spokes came in from Starklite, (he has Buchanan make them), and bought these two original Sparto tail lights. Hopefully I'll get down to getting some progress made now that harvest is over.
KeV

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Jan 6 12 6:41 PM

Not much progress. Have acquired a few new parts though. I am fixing broken fins on the cylinders and will then hone them. Slow but still fun
Kev

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help